RE: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago

Subject: RE: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:59:45 -0400

Agreed - conferences are a LOT of work, involve upfront expenditures that
would stagger you, and offer NO guarantee of success.

To paraphrase PT Barnum - you can please some of the people some of the
time, all of the people none of the time, and none of the people all too
often.

In my experience, almost all conferences are dependent on the presenters to
propose topics. Sure, you can drop a hint here, or get down and beg there,
but ... if you're the conference producer, what you want may not be what you
get.

I agree whole-heartedly with Mary about getting involved in your local STC
conferences. Some of them are outstanding (I was on the InterChange board
for 9 or 10 years) and it is a lot of fun. It's also a ton of work and often
quite frustrating.

But if you don't get involved, don't propose technical presentations (which
most conference producers would give their eye teeth to receive and put on),
don't fill out the comment sheets at the conferences you do attend and voice
your opinions, then keep yer yap shut.

John

John Garison
Documentation Manager