RE: ethics, morals in documentation?

Subject: RE: ethics, morals in documentation?
From: Pam Mandel <pmandel -at- nimble -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 23:03:43 -0700

I haven't quite lost sleep over this, yet. Recently we learned that three
of our potential clients were a company that produces gene modified crops,
an organization know for financing guerilla warfare in small nations who's
government doesn't look like ours, and an conservation effort for endangered
species. My heart is so far to the left that I can barely stand up straight
so the mention of the first two clients sent me in to an introspective
tailspin. GM food and Men in Black? Yikes. I don't want to have anything to
do with those things. (Please, this isn't about my politics, kindly spare me
the rebuke from the right.) I'm afraid I came to the unsavory conclusion
that working for The Evil Man is unavoidable unless I go to working for
Mother Theresa. I'm not in a position to screen our company's clients for
their moral rectitude or alignment with my politics. And indeed, the Men in
Black would be a big client. Big client = big bucks for the company = higher
possiblity of pro bono work for the conservation of endangered and really
cute animals. Also big bucks for the company = big bucks for me = higher
possiblity of my getting out of working for the Man and going back to my
first love, the arts, where there's no dang money.
Yeah, it's a complex rationalization, but it works for me, for today. Bring
on the porn empire.
Pam

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.