RE: Dreamweaver to create HTML Help?

Subject: RE: Dreamweaver to create HTML Help?
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 05:58:42 -0800 (PST)

> Dreamweaver doesn't provide some of the nice
> features often found in HAT's,
> like easy TOC and index generation; however, the
> application does generate
> error-free HTML and provides us with an opportunity
> to separate ourselves
> from Java applet support problems that seem to nag
> WebHelp and Web Works
> Publisher.

I know I've been beating the WebWorks Publisher drum a
lot lately, but I have to jump in here on a few
points.
1) There is a big difference between WebHelp and
WebWorks Publisher. WebHelp is a Help format created
from RoboHelp, and WebWorks Publisher (WWP) is a tool
in which you can create Help. You can create
HTML-based Help from WWP without the need for Java or
JavaScript dependence.
2) You can very easily generate completely clean, W3C
compliant HTML from WWP. You just need to design your
template accordingly. FWIW, you have to do the same
with Dreamweaver - I love Dreamweaver, but it's not
all beer and cookies. I've seen some real ugly code
generated by people using Dreamweaver (and not quite
knowing what they were doing).
3) One single-sourcing option for all you Frame heads
who like the design control you get with Dreamweaver:
Use Dreamweaver to create your templates, and then use
the templates in your WWP project as the ASP pages in
which content is placed.

Before I'm riddled with questions and comments, let me
say that using Dreamweaver on its own as a Help tool
is not only possible, it's also a very smart solution.
But if you have content in Frame already that you want
to use in yout Help project, and if you have WWP, why
not use the best features of both tools to your advantage?

=====
Bill Swallow
Information Design & Development Professional
bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com - www.geocities.com/bill_swallow
Editor, InFrame Magazine <www.inframe-mag.com>
WebWorks Wizard

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/