Re: Watermarking

Subject: Re: Watermarking
From: "Jonathan Soukup" <JSoukup -at- at-track -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:04:33 -0600

When I was in college, there was a company that purchased class lecture notes from students and sold them to other students who missed classes or didn't take very good notes. (No tests or anything like that, just notes summarizing the lectures. And no, I'm not going to discuss the ethics of it, I only went there ONE time to help pass a math course.)

Anyway, to deter students from purchasing one copy and sharing it with several friends, everything they sold was printed in black ink (from a copier) on bright red paper. It was ok to read, but I always felt irritated afterwards. (Maybe it was the subject matter.) The copies looked like crud if you tried to run it through a copy machine. I guess we could have tried a color copier, but at $1/sheet, we didn't give it much thought.

-Jonathan

>>> TGREER <tgreer -at- bowvalleyc -dot- ab -dot- ca> 02/27/01 03:48PM >>>
The powers that be have decided to sell some of our student training manuals
outside of our college (usually we just produce for in-house use). We would
like to embed a watermark behind the text that obscures the material if it
is photocopied. The manuals are in Word 97, but we have access to other
tools. Somehow I suspect this might be more of a paper type issue rather
than a tool issue....