Re: AT: (Askance of topic): Purty pik-tyoors

Subject: Re: AT: (Askance of topic): Purty pik-tyoors
From: "Jonathan Soukup" <JSoukup -at- at-track -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:20:11 -0600

>>> <KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com> 02/22/01 03:35PM >>>
Survey time.
1) How many of you have the same tool?
2) How many of you have a similar tool that connects
with a different CAD software (i.e., the one used
by your local designers), but has much the same
remote-twiddle capabilities?
3) How many of you who DON'T have either (1) or (2),
wish that you did?

I used to read Dilbert until I graduated from college and went to work.

Our engineers basically get to use whatever they want if they can convince their supervisors they really need it. Most of our guys either used CAD or Solid Works, but about two months ago we hired a guy who is using Pro-E.

We already used VoloView and Solid Works Viewer (because they were free) but no one mentioned purchasing the Pro-E viewer. So we're basically telling the guy that he has to provide material in standard CAD formats so we can look at them in VoloView. We haven't gotten much information from this guy yet, but in theory, it's supposed to work out.

In addition, we have several old paper documents that have been scanned and saved either as .pdf or .png files.

It's not really too bad until you step into the configuration management role and have to explain to everyone that they will need four different software packages on their computer to view engineering documents.

-Jonathan