Great Approach to Help Presentation on MacOSX

Subject: Great Approach to Help Presentation on MacOSX
From: "Joe" <jsokohl -at- eudoramail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 02:23:03 -0800

Hi all,
Saw this info on the Apple Developer Connection. Thought it was quite interesting...solves a problem I was trying to solve, except it's a Mac OSX solution. Does anyone approach Wintel Help in a similar manner?
Thanks,
joe
---
Our fears are like dragons, guarding our most precious treasures.
___Rainer Marie Rilke

This issue is also available online at
http://developer.apple.com/devnews/

Mac OS X Tips and Tricks
Q: My application's "Help" is provided in a collection of HTML files
viewable in the Help Viewer. What is the quickest way to display
information about a particular topic?

A: Your application can call the AHLookupAnchor routine to display
help files on particular topics. AHLookupAnchor asks the Help Viewer
to search your application's help book and present the page
containing a particular HTML anchor scrolled, so that the anchor's
location is visible.

Using AHLookupAnchor in your application means your application
doesn't have to keep track of the file names where particular help
content is stored; your application only has to track the anchor
name of requested help content.

This allows your "Help" content creators greater freedom when
designing and maintaining your help content, as they can move
information from file to file, or redesign the look of your help
pages, without worrying about the help book getting out of sync with
application help requests.