robohelp questions

Subject: robohelp questions
From: Joe Campo <jcampo -at- solidworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:38:53 -0500

Background
We are creating a Help project for an application that users will download
from our server.
Users will download an .exe file to install on their PC. The .exe file will
contain the help project.
File size is a really driving issue.

As of now, we are considering 3 options:
RoboHelp HTML
WebHelp
RoboHelp Classic WinHelp-based

I have estimated the size of required support files for the help project,
not including the topics themselves, as:
RoboHelp HTML - approx. 715KB for HHUPD.exe file, and if we want browse
seq., glossary, and websearch, approx. 436KB for HHActiveX.dll.
WebHelp - approx. 500KB in various support file formats.
RoboHelp WinHelp - ????

Questions
1. Can someone verify that these figures above for RoboHelp HTML and WebHelp
are accurate? I have been posting to ehelp, and I just want reassurance
(cya).
2. What support files are required for RoboHelp WinHelp and what is the file
size?
We have a captive audience that is required to use Windows for the product,
so they will have the Windows viewer by default.
3. A colleague has told me that WinHelp is going to go away sometime this
Spring when they announce a new Help2.0 at a winwriters conference. Can
anyone confirm or deny this?
She strongly recommended against going "back" to WinHelp.
4. Does anyone have any other innovative suggestions for help systems that
we have not considered? We would like to have a TOC and Index, otherwise I
would have
suggested just pure HTML files. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Joseph Campo
Technical Writer
SolidWorks Corporation