Re: HUMOR: I Need Help

Subject: Re: HUMOR: I Need Help
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:20:02 -0800 (PST)

I am going to post a public response to this but leave off the name of the
person who wrote it. I think there is a real issue in this:

> Was this posting your attempt at humour? I found it to be extremely hostile
> and condescending.

> We must all remember that we were all newbies once, even you, and someone
> gave us a hand. I take time out of my day to respond directly to newbies
> questions (when I can answer them) because I need help too from time to
> time.

There is a big difference, between these two statements:

1) What do you think about FrameMaker's page numbering...I have trouble using
it?

vs.

2) Send me templates (or point me to where I can get some) that have all the
correct page numbering constructions.

The first is an honest question about an issue that may confront tech writers.
The second is just pure laziness.

Yes, I was a newbie once, but I handled my own challenges and problems. I
didn't beg others to do all the work for me.

In my opinion, asking the forum to send you templates and detailed instructions
on how to write your documents is lazy. And it isn't just newbies. I see plenty
of people with titles of "Senior Technical Writer" asking the forum to do their
work for them.

I think some people, like myself, find it rather disturbing that some people
call themselves tech writers clearly have no problem solving skills. They just
immediately resort to asking a forum like TECHWR-L to do their work.

And we wonder why engineers don't respect us?

Andrew Plato

a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/