RE: Proving an MS standard

Subject: RE: Proving an MS standard
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:19:59 -0500

I misunderstood, too. I thought the lack of a TOC or index was being
attributed to the use of HTML. You can have these things with HTML.

This depends what you are talking about. Often, TOCs in HTML use JavaScript
or Applets that work with all browsers. If you refer to Microsoft's
proprietary HTML Help format, your thinking is off. MS HTML Help is a
compiled format and has the extension CHM. This is a replacement for
WinHelp, HLP. WinHelp was proprietary. WinHelp only worked in Windows. And,
WinHelp used a specific viewer, just as CHMs use a specific viewer: I.E.

> the lack of
> cross-references in the current offering is exactly what I said, less
> than effective. The offering that Microsoft has given on thier site
> it technically correct but not useful unless you use thier product,
> and/or are willing to sit and scan file after file for information.

So why not use their product if it helps you get what you need?

> Isn't that what is commonly lambasted on this list? The lack of
> precise and helpful organization and format?

It depends . . . I would suggest that MS concluded their audience was
Microsoft users likely to be using Microsoft tools and therefore targeted

that audience. If they missed with you, that is their bad, yes.

I read that you wrote this:

>>The real problem is that there is no table of contents, there is
no
>>index. You cannot effectively search the book. A real reason not
>>use HTML for online documentation.

To me, and others, that seemed to indicate you were linking a lack of a TOC
and index to the HTML format. This conclusion has nothing to do with
Microsoft or your disdain for Microsoft.

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com