Re: Proving an MS standard

Subject: Re: Proving an MS standard
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:09:14 -0600

At 1:38 PM -0800 2/14/2001, Scott Turner wrote:
The real problem is that there is no table of contents, there is no
index. You cannot effectively search the book. A real reason not to
use HTML for online documentation.

??

What relationship are you trying to draw between "lacks a TOC or index" and
"presented in HTML"? Surely you're not suggesting either that a printed or
PDF book could not lack these necessary features, or that a set of HTML
documents could not have them?

My point is that the site does not have them. I was informed that with Microsoft IE you can search a library.

My POINT is that the requirement of a specific browser, the lack of cross-references in the current offering is exactly what I said, less than effective. The offering that Microsoft has given on thier site it technically correct but not useful unless you use thier product, and/or are willing to sit and scan file after file for information.

Isn't that what is commonly lambasted on this list? The lack of precise and helpful organization and format?

Microsoft did not spend enough effort to ensure that the information, in the format that they provided, was useful and easy to extract information.

I have monitored this list long enough to know that when technical writers encounter this sort of shoddy work, they are very vocal revealing it. Am I to be corrected or brought to task simply because the owner of the information is Microsoft?

I beg to differ.

Scott