Re: Burnout?

Subject: Re: Burnout?
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 16:12:31 -0600

How 'bout essay tests? I LOVED those (well, in comparison to multiple guess and
trick and false....) I could talk my way out of those!

My favorite memory is a Civil War mid-term. It was an undergrad course taken for
graduate credit, meaning I had to do an extra paper, which I didn't mind, after
all I could write....

I started the answer on one of the questions wrong. About a page into it, I
realized I was rapidly talking myself into a corner from which there was no
escape, that this was going nowhere and fast. Slashed a big inky X across the
page (one of those Blue Books we all remember with such fondness), flipped the
page and started over, this time doing it right. The poor kid sitting next to me
(who was a TERRIBLE scholar, the girl studied harder than anyone I've ever seen
and still barely made Cs) nearly freaked. Couldn't believe I'd ditch such
deathless prose.

And that was the problem. It WAS deathless - like in zombie!

Jo Byrd