Legal word definitions (was Ensure vs. Insure)

Subject: Legal word definitions (was Ensure vs. Insure)
From: "Mark Emson" <mt -dot- emson -at- ntlworld -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 19:11:36 -0000

Hi all,

Tara wrote:
"Here's another set that I often see confused - ensure and insure."

-------

Dannette Thompson Wrote:
This is a pet peeve of mine as well. And people around here tend to use
"insure" constantly. I've always wondered in the back of my mind if there
were legal ramifications to this. For example, if our marketing material
says our software "insures quick results," does that mean we're financially
obligated to make them more productive?

-------

Dannette's reference to legal ramifications brings me back to a question I
posed a few weeks ago.

I was, and I am still, looking for a guide to the legal definition of
certain words.
I am certain that there must be legally defined differences between words
such as 'maintain' and 'service', 'inspect and 'examine'.

A law book by Blacks' was suggested but the only one I could find was
"Blacks' Handbook of Business Law Terms".
This sounds like it may be the right sort of thing but I'm after something
more pertinent to engineering.
I contacted the British Standards Institute (BSI) but they only suggested
that I visit their library on the other side of the country.
The BSI manuals always seem to have a glossary of terms relevant to the
particular publication but, as you can imagine, this method isn't suitable
for the majority of documents.

What do the rest of you use to back up your instructions and procedures?
Does anyone ever bother or is it just me that can see the noose dangling?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Emson.