Re: Wax paste-up, etc.

Subject: Re: Wax paste-up, etc.
From: "Teri A. Ward" <taw0200 -at- eeidf002 -dot- ca -dot- boeing -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:16:46 -0800 (PST)

Jacque Foreman wrote:
> We could ask for a show of hands for all those who also remember
> technical pens -- especially 3x0 & 4x0, drafting linen, velum, fixatives
> and mylar.

Yes, I remember Leroy pens for inking the lines on
tables, and even underscores if the typewriter did
a lousy job of it. Here are a few more terms that
may take some of us down the tech pubs Memory Lane:

o MacTac - transparent paper with a peelable sticky
backing (used for typing illustration callouts,
which the Tech Illustrators would cut out and paste
on the graphics - hand-drawn, of course)

o Removable typewriter keys for common Greek
and math symbols (need a delta sign? Remove the
"a" key, put in the "delta" key, hit it once,
take it out, put the "a" key back in ... boy,
didn't we just fly along in the old days! ;-)

o "Rub-ons"/dry transfer lettering sheets (for adding
less common Greek & math symbols to the text that
there weren't any removable keys for)

o Light tables - To correct text without retyping the
entire page, you could type the new paragraph, place
it over the old one on the light table, cut through
both pieces of paper with an exacto knife, then tape
the new one in to the original page. Voila!!

Shuffling off to the old rocking chair - at least
virtually,

Teri Ward
Technical Writer/Web Designer
Seattle