RE: Best remote tools for tech. writing

Subject: RE: Best remote tools for tech. writing
From: Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:36:09 -0500

I can think of one remote tool that I use all the time. That would be my
backpack CD-RW drive. It allows me to take an entire project either to or
from my on-site assignment. A 250Mb Zip drive is fine is your project
doesn't contain graphics, but a CD-RW drive that plugs into your machine and
can travel with you is immeasurable in terms of backing up an entire project
and taking it home or to the client site.

My .02.

<snip>

Both these are good suggestions. However, I'd also add: some kind of
secure remote file transfer, whether a command like tool like ssh or
a GUI like tarantella. And, if you're not the only one at home,
consider adding a second phone line for business purposes.

Otherwise, I can't think of any tools that are specific to remote
work.

However, I do suggest regular visits - at least once per month - to
the office to talk to people directly and re-establish contacts. The
less often you go, the longer the hours and the more intense you can
expect the visits to be.
</snip>