RE: Disclaimer in Beta Docs?

Subject: RE: Disclaimer in Beta Docs?
From: Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:52:20 -0500

1. Will it impact your release to put this language in the help docs?
2. Will it help the users better understand the software and NOT report bugs
that are clearly known as bugs?
3. Will it make everyone happy to put this in the help docs?
4. Is the issue that the help docs will have "beta lanaguage" or that the
help docs will have to be slightly altered?
5. Are the help docs ALSO beta since they reflect the current version of the
software? Or, conversely, are the help docs a "idealized" version of what
the application SHOULD do?

From: Pam Mandel [mailto:pmandel -at- nimble -dot- com] wrote

Hi all -
Once again, with feeling:
Start up company, V1 doc set.
Here's the issue. We're dropping a beta version with an online help system
in place. We have a signed agreement with the guinea pigs stating that the
software is buggy, incomplete, blah blah blah. I'm wondering - do we also
need to put such a thing in the online help? Legal says they think it would
be a good idea to say something about trademarks, include a standard
copyright notice, and some sort of disclaimer. This seems okay for now.
We'll write something up that makes them happy. But what about for the
actual release version? Are there implication involving legal that belong in
online help? My inclination is no, that legal would be part of the
SLA(Software License Agreement), but I really do not know for sure.
Thanks a bunch.

<snip>