Electronice distribution options

Subject: Electronice distribution options
From: jennifer -at- ensynergy -dot- co -dot- nz
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 16:54:39

Here's an interesting question I am wrestling with: What is the best way
to distribute the manual for our software in an electronic format?

The requirements are:
That the clients must be able to alter the source document (so PDF is
out).
It has to be accessible for people using different versions of Word.
It has to be distributed on the same CD as the application and be easy
enough to access for an "ordinary person."

It's previously been distributed just as a .doc file, but the rate of
growth on this document means that the size is getting to be a bit
cumbersome for that. I'm thinking that splitting different sections into
separate docs would be the simplest option.

Some of the options we've thought of: HTML (to get around the Word
compatibility problem), RTF, keeping with the .doc format. Is there
something I'm overlooking?

Regards,
--
Jennifer Sinclair
Technical Writer/Software Quality Analyst