Re: Argh! Indexing in FM 6.0

Subject: Re: Argh! Indexing in FM 6.0
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 15:31:49 -0600

Chris,

The problems all boil down to one thing: FrameMaker 6.0 now uses a
different chapter number variable. If you don't use it as described in
the manual, you will have all the problems you described....plus some
others.

It's complicated to go into in the email, but basically FM 6.0 has
added a new variable (<$chapnum>) where before, you had to devise your
own numbering sequences. It's not complicated to do from scratch, but
terribly complicated to explain for converting/upgrading documents
created with previous versions of FM. I hope you have the FM 6.0 user
guide. If so, look under "Chapter Numbering" in the index. In my
experience, FM 5.5 and 6.0 reside quite nicely on the same machine. If
you haven't already blasted the earlier version, I suggest you keep it
for awhile as the chapter numbering is not something you can convert
quickly....especially if you use a page numbering scheme like 2-1,
2-2, 2-3, etc. You'll need to change all your variables in your
cross-references, page numbers, etc.

Also, the new book feature, which I absolutely love, is now where you
specify regenerating and numbering of book chapters. With the BOOK
open, on the Format menu, click Document > Numbering. Go slow on this
step as it can bite you in a number of ways.

Jane Bergen