Technical Fiction (was: Amusing Terms)

Subject: Technical Fiction (was: Amusing Terms)
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:12:50 -0600

> > I like "technical fiction." This term refers to user manuals written
> > according to technical specifications or programmer
> > assurances about how a
> > system is going to turn out, in the absence of a working prototype.

At first, I thought "technical fiction" was going to be about those Star
Trek blueprints and other technical documents that they publish.

Does anybody know who writes those things? Is it all done by fiction
writers, or are technical writers ever brought in?

(I'm not trying to break into that field, mind you, just curious.)