Re: Writers vs Editors

Subject: Re: Writers vs Editors
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:59:25 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

> Writers have two basic skills:
> 1) Communication skills (which includes editing skills)
> 2) Content Generation Skills
>

> Editors have one basic skill:
> 1) Communication skills.

I came to this discussion late, having spent Boxing Day making the
rounds of the relatives I see once a year (and spend the rest of the
year recovering from :-) ).

However, one point that seems obvious to me is being overlooked.
That is, editing - from proof reading to copy editing - is simply a

subset of writing. Often, the two are separated into two different
jobs, but they are just as likely to be combined in the same person.

Viewed in this way, the distinction seems arbitrary and unimportant.
True, writing and editing require very different mindsets: writing
is creative and can be at least partly intuitive, while editing is
more analytical. However, few people have the discipline to write
without making a few editorial changes, while a copy editor may need
to insert or rewrite entire passages, so even these distinctions
need to be qualified. Both roles are simply part of the process of
producing a readable manuscript.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Dow Jones going into a stall,
Spray paint saying it on every wall,
The rise was fine, now it's time to decline and fall."
- Richard Thompson, "Yankee Go Home"

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.