Re: Writers vs Editors

Subject: Re: Writers vs Editors
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:51:57 -0500

I think part of the conflict surrounding this thread is that "editor" covers several different levels of skill. A copyeditor or editorial assistant is different in kind and value from a managing editor, for example. Proofreading, redaction, and fact-checking are rather lower-level skills than shaping the focus and direction of an overall work.

That said, I just received in my mailbox (the physical kind) a catalog of workshops from nSight (http://www.nsightworks.com/). The brochure lists a number of interesting-sounding courses and it includes some tables that do not appear on the Web site. The column headings on these tables are as follows:

If you are, or want to be
Take this 1st
Take this 2nd
Take this 3rd

For the writing/editing/project management section of the course guide, the job categories in the first column are:

Proofreader
Copyeditor
Editorial Assistant
Editorial Project Manager
Managing Editor
Marketing Communications Assistant
Marketing Communications Manager

The recommended course in the remaining three columns range from Proofreading Essentials to Editing Skills for Supervisors to Writing Copy that Sells.

My point is only that this course catalog is a well designed, well thought out piece that helps clarify the discussion of what writers do versus what editors do. If you happen to see one in your own mailbox, I'd suggest perusing it.

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected with nSight, have never attended one of their workshops, and have no idea why I am on their mailing list. I just liked the catalog and thought it pertinent to this discussion.

Dick

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.