RE: STC or STC# ?

Subject: RE: STC or STC# ?
From: "Le Vie, DonaldX S" <donaldx -dot- s -dot- le -dot- vie -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:22:08 -0800

I think we're almost in agreement, but from different
perspectives...however, you bring up a very good point about being sucked in
to the trivialities of self-perpetuation, and that too is a bit
serendipitous because over the last few months, I've been wrestling with
continuing my participation at the annual conference.

In fact, your post and that of Elna Tymes have provided some additional fuel
for thought. A previous post of mine stated that I enjoy giving back to the
profession in the way of articles to InterCom and participation at annual
conferences, but of all the conferences and meetings (international,
national, and regional) that I've spoken to, the STC is one of the few that
doesn't cover the full conference registration of the presenter and/or pay
an honorarium.

I will continue my membership in the STC and contribute articles a few time
a year, but until they change their policy on how they treat their most
experienced presenters, I'm seriously thinking about bowing out from that
type of participation/contribution.

I can't discount the speaking and consulting opportunities that have come my
way through membership in STC, though. So, I'm somewhat inclined to still
disagree with your assessment that STC is irrelevant to success...but then
again, maybe it's being at the right place at the right time with the right
message...

Regards,
Donn Le Vie