RE: STC or STC# ?

Subject: RE: STC or STC# ?
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:38:44 -0800

Elizabeth Ross wrote in response to Donn S Le Vie, Jr.:

On 12/6/00 6:52 PM, Donn S Le Vie, Jr. wrote:

> For those 33% who aren't members, $110 a year to join for a wealth of
> information. And your employer will probably cover the membership fees.
> InterCom has come a long way, and Maurice Martin has worked hard as editor
> to raise the level of hard-hitting information it delivers, but it still
has
> a ways to go (as he knows from repeated hammering by me...=: o

$110 US. = $168.36 Cdn

That's without joining any SIGs. I was a member for a year--it cost me ~$200
Cdn and I did not receive what I consider value for my money. My employer
doesn't pay for it either.

The magazines occasionally have helpful information. I started here as a
lone technical writer with a backlog of ALL the product documentation.
(They'd never had a tech writer before.) I honestly didn't have time for the
theory, I had too many docs to write. So it was definitely a mixed bag.

I would urge potential members to do a cost/benefit analysis for themselves
before shelling out money for something that may not work for you. Go to the
library and look at the publications. Browse the various sites on the
Internet (head office and regional chapters). Many benefits are available
for free (access to job opportunities).

What I really want to say is "Do your homework." Don't go out and join an
organization just because someone on this list thinks you should. And don't
not join something you feel is worthwhile because someone on this list says
it sucks.
==============================

I whole-heartedly agree. I would also add that you ought to attend a couple
of meeeting of your local chapter before you pay anything. The value in the
STC comes from the local chapters. If the members are active and support
seminars and other programs, it is worth the money (IMHO). If they aren't
active, don't waste your money. The magazine isn't worth $110/yr, even if
your boss is paying for it.

John Gilger
Techical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.