Re: Andrew's Challenge Accepted.

Subject: Re: Andrew's Challenge Accepted.
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 23:29:29 -0500

Dan Emory wrote:

> >But I counter, how is it that my firm consistently wins technology-centric
> >awards for documentation if we are just producing spaghetti code? Go to
> >www.networkice.com. I *personally* wrote about 75% of the documentation for
> >them.
>
> I have taken that challenge, and have downloaded from that
> site the BlackICE Defender User Guide, a 950+ KB PDF file (72 pages).

Given the differences you and Andrew have had on the list, your comments
will likely be interesting. I'm not at all certain they'll demonstrate
anything other than that you don't like his style. Since we already
know that, is there actually any point to this exercise?

I've grabbed the file as well. Anyone else that wants a look, the page you
select the PDF from is:
http://www.networkice.com/html/documentation1.html

> I am currently evaluating it, and intend to produce an annotated version
> of that file containing my comments.

Care to post a URL for one of your docs? It might help the rest of us
evaluate your qualifications for criticising here.

(If anyone cares, my recent stuff is on www.freeswan.org; all the HTML
docs are mine.)

> My preliminary analysis has concluded that this document is mediocre
> at best, is full of classic examples of bad writing practice,

My first impression (after investing a whole two minutes) is that it is
well-written, but I can easily pick lots of nits. The persitent misuse
of "hacker" is downright insulting, there are some silly errors like the
forward slashes in the filname on page 39, some inconsistencies, ...

On the other hand, I don't recall ever seeing a document that couldn't
be criticised and improved, or an editor who wasn't critical.

> and certainly wouldn't win any legitimate awards for excellence.

That depends how "legitimate" is defined. The fact is it has won some
awards. My guess is that your definition would exclude those, but I'm
not prepared to accept that.