Andrew's Challenge Accepted.

Subject: Andrew's Challenge Accepted.
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 17:00:51 -0800

At 04:56 PM 12/2/00 -0800, Andrew Plato wrote:

Wrong. I champion simple, cost-effective solutions that focus on technical
accuracy. I am not a lone writer. I have a number of writers working at my
firm.
In an earlier post, Andrew challenged me to look at the documentation
on the BlackICE website, which he claims to have been done by his
company. Herre is his challenge:

But I counter, how is it that my firm consistently wins technology-centric
awards for documentation if we are just producing spaghetti code? Go to
www.networkice.com. I *personally* wrote about 75% of the documentation for
them.

I have taken that challenge, and have downloaded from that
site the BlackICE Defender User Guide, a 950+ KB PDF file (72 pages).
I am currently evaluating it, and intend to produce an annotated version
of that file containing my comments.

My preliminary analysis has concluded that this document is mediocre
at best, is full of classic examples of bad writing practice, and certainly
wouldn't win any legitimate awards for excellence.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.