Re: Improving the Quality of the List

Subject: Re: Improving the Quality of the List
From: "Donn S Le Vie, Jr." <dlevie -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:42:31 -0600

Dear fellow list members:

If I may be so bold....

I have to wholeheartedly agree with Dan....some of the recent postings from
the "decisionally challenged" make me wonder how these people get up and get
to work in the morning...

1. shower or bath?
2. white underwear or colored?
3. shampoo with conditioner or without?
4. cereal and toast or eggs and bacon?
5. floss my teeth after brushing or before bed?

What do these people do when the good folks on this list aren't around to
help them answer such probing questions? The quality of the list appears to
be deteriorating into a "chat room" atmosphere, and I for one would like to
receive more benefit (the recent Frame and PDF exchanges have been
informative). We also need a little less of the following:

POST A: "I have a question about using this feature in FrameMaker...."
POST B: "Here's how to handle it...first, you check...."
POST C: "I totally disagree with that remedy...you neglected to consider....
POST D: "Well, I think you're both wacky...and here's why...
POST E: "Oh yeah? Well your mother voted twice in Palm Beach...

Meanwhile, the person posting the original question gets lost in the
downward spiraling diatribe that's veered way off target. I've also noticed
that a good percentage of postings can be answered with the same answer:
"check the archives." Why can't we respond to many of these postings with
word economy? Oops, I've said too much already...

Donn Le Vie
Consultant and author

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230