RE: Improving the Quality of the List

Subject: RE: Improving the Quality of the List
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:48:21 -0800

Dan Emory writes:

> I wish more people would initiate threads with what
> is essentially an essay describing their approach to
> (or analysis of) substantive matters of interest...and identify
> the issues and factors that (in the originator's opinion
> at least) might deserve further discussion.
>
> I think the list would be a much better resource if
> there were more of this...
>
> I've tried the essay approach...in most cases, produced
> very few responses. I'm not sure what that
> implies about the list members.
>
>What do you think?

<preface>
Absolutely no flame intended to anyone. My opinion only.
</preface>

While I agree with you that the quality of the archives
would be improved by the approach you propose, were it
successful, your failed attempts, sadly, do nothing to
enhance the quality of our archived data.

You asked what I think, so I'll say. <g>

We are busy professionals, and as such, find it generally
easier to read/absorb/respond to a quick one-line question
than to read/absorb/respond to an essay. That's life.

>From time to time, relatively new list members propose
changes to list dynamics. This is an example. Another
example is the proposal that we add descriptive letter
combinations to the subject line. Yes, I've seen that
one whizz by a time or two as well. We are a large group
and our group dynamics have been developing for almost
a decade. The occasional proposal to change those dynamics,
while certainly well intentioned and often of some merit,
has no hope of swaying the majority of list members. That
too is life.

I have been a list member for almost as long as there has
been a list -- I don't even want to count the number of
times I've seen certain topics pop up. I've made good
friends with my delete key, and with that old Irish
prayer: "Grant me the strength to change what I can,
the serenity to accept what I cannot change, and the
wisdom to know the difference."

remains a valuable resource none the less.

My two cents.

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."
-- Douglas Adams
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230