Re: Are Zip drives obsolete?

Subject: Re: Are Zip drives obsolete?
From: Clayton Cornell <clayton -dot- cornell -at- asml -dot- nl>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:04:19 +0100

If you are looking at buying a _new_ CD Writer, you should not encounter
the problems Jeff mentions here... assuming you are also connected to a
realtively new PC or Mac. I have a Sony 8x Writer, and under Windows
and Linux (on a PC) I get flawless writes everytime. Time to write
700Mb (at 8x) is roughly 10 minutes start to finish. There is no need
to format CD's. 125 disks recorded (music and digital data) and only 2
fails, and these were due to my fiddling to find the fail threshold.

I have no issues with it being a resource hog under either OS, and can
multitask (as much as Windows can pretend to) most applications. Linux
(using KDE as the GUI) hums along fine too. You do have to be careful
that you do not start a write, and then try to launch an application
that eats up 100% of the processor time, and/or monopolizes the hard
drive access.

CD's can be read on virtually every CD ROM drive. The only problems I
have encountered is with some CD ROM drives slower than 12x read. They
seem to choke on recorded CD's and can't read them.

Clayton

Jeff Hanvey wrote:

[snip]

> CD Writers:
> -Glitchy. Rewriters, especially, often don't read on a

[snip]

> -Slow. You can spend thirty minutes to an hour and a
> half formatting the drive - and still have to copy the
> material to them (of course, this depends on how fast
> your system is).
> -Resource hogs - your system will slow noticeably.
> This knocks out multi-tasking in many cases.

[snip]

--
| Clayton Cornell |

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230