RE: Are we just secretaries?

Subject: RE: Are we just secretaries?
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- mail -dot- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:58:26 -0500

Scott wrote:

I can commiserate with you, but some jobs are like that.

Correction: all jobs are like that. Why, even the idiots (as managers, like
me, are frequently referred to on this list) have to do stuff, on occasion,
that would appear to be a waste of our nano-sized talent. Some big-buck
managers Xerox their own documents, make their own PowerPoint slides, and
spend a week wrangling with mindless procurement and IT Mafia so their
technical writers can get "non-standard" computers and software to meet their
needs.

When I was a Catbert, this was part of my evil performance appraisal system:

5 = "Washes windows" on occasion, whining to no one
4 = "Washes windows" on occasion, whining only to colleagues
3 = "Washes windows" on occasion, whining to colleagues and managers
2 = Refuses to "wash windows" -- "I'm a _______, not a window washer." AKA:
soon-to-be ex-employee
1 = Likes to "wash windows" -- "Boss, I love to wash windows . . . this is the
bestest part of my job." AKA: future Catbert

Bill Keeley
manager (gulp!) and ex-tech writer

ROFL

Bill, for shame, you went to the Dark Side!

Keep those "non-standard" computers plugged-in! Every writer should have the option to use the axe of their choice.

Scott
--
Scott Turner

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.