Re: PDFing ITC Souvenir

Subject: Re: PDFing ITC Souvenir
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Janet_Hughes -at- ahm -dot- honda -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 07:18:49 -0400

Janet,

The solution, unfortunately, is to redo all the work using Acrobat 4.05c
(the current version). There was a problem with the earlier releases of
Acrobat 4 having to do with the setting of the embeddability bit in
certain fonts.

However, I am not guaranteeing that this will solve your problem.
Searching text in PDFs is always problematic, and some fonts, regardless
of the Acrobat version you use, are not searchable. Souvenir may be one
of them. So you will have to do a test on a document before deciding how
to proceed.

If you must retain the Souvenir (not generally considered a text face
and therefore perhaps not encoded properly for text searching), here is
a workaround: Copy the text on each page separately, convert the copy to
Helvetica, change the color to white, and place it in a frame behind the
visible text. Acrobat should have no trouble searching it. Again,
though, test this with your setup to make sure it works.

Dick