Re: PDFing ITC Souvenir

Subject: Re: PDFing ITC Souvenir
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: Janet_Hughes -at- ahm -dot- honda -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:54:16 +0200

Janet,

What kind of type is the ITC Souvenir font you are using? PostScript Type 1, TrueType, custom made for Interleaf?

If it is a PostScript Type 1 or a TrueType, the problem might relatively easily be solved, as there is a first location where you have to specify to include all fonts, and that is in the printer driver.

You might get the very newest AdobePS printer driver from Adobe, and select the Distiller PPD. In the options for that printer instance, you set it to embed all fonts. Then try again to create the PostScript documents and process them in Distiller. There is another issue with TrueType fonts only in the printer driver setting. You should embed TrueTypes as Type 42 font. This creates a PostScript wrapper around the font, and is required to make the font being processed properly. If it is not set to Type 42, the TrueType may get embedded as so called Type 3 font, which is not searchable in Acrobat. You will see quite easily if your font has been embedded as Type 3, by either checking the Font Info, or just by looking at the document when the text loads. When you see lines being built up, you can assume that it is a Type 3 font because it takes a lot longer to render a Type 3 than a Type 1.

It has been said in another message that there are some issues with the embedding flags. This applies _only_ to TrueType fonts; PostScript Type 1 fonts don't have that embedding flag. It is however correct that the policy in Distiller 4.0 was to not embed everything which has not been explicitely allowed to be embedded, whereas Distiller 4.05 embeds everything which has not been explicitely blocked against embedding. However, if that happens, you should get an error message from Distiller (unless you have set Distiller to ignore these messages). So, if your font happens to be a TrueType, you might try out Distiller 4.05.

If your font is a custom made font for Interleaf (I believe to remember that Interleaf used their own (bitmap) format), you are in bad luck. Custom fonts (particularly bitmaps) will not work. If that is the case, you would either have to find a PostScript Type 1 replacement, or you might talk to a Capture service bureau which would process your newsletters with hidden searchable text.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

______________________

This is my first posting to this list. I've looked through the archives to see
if I could find anything relating to our problem, but had no luck. I'm hoping
someone out there will read this and at least point me in the right
direction...We've got a PDF problem that's driving us crazy. We've spent some
time PDFing a few years worth of newsletters originally created on Interleaf.
The PDF file is intended for use on the WEB. We've made sure that we clicked the
"embed all fonts" option when we PDFd the files, but distiller does not seem to
be recognizing ITC Souvenir. We created the PDFs from PS files. Our problem now
is that when we try to search by word on the web, the only searchable text in
our newsletter PDFs is the Helvetica text in the callouts. What are we doing
wrong?