Word/WordPerfect

Subject: Word/WordPerfect
From: chasity mcwilliams <chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:03:32 -0600

Right now, I have both WordPefect 8 and MSWord (office 98).
I keep running into the same problem over and over and am
looking for advice.

Everytime I have a document that is over 60 pages I get
severe crashes in MS Word. The crashes range from a total
freeze to an illegal operation to a system has unexpected
quit (on my mac). So what I have been doing editing the
documents in Word Perfect (it doesn't seem to have any of
the problems that Word has with large documents), and then
I save them as word documents (since that what everyone
uses). What I would like to know is :

1. Is there a way (maybe a patch or something) to fix word
so that it can handle larger documents?
2. If there isn't a way to fix word, is there a faster
workaround than creating a WordPefect document and then
converting it back to Word.
3. Are there different versions of Word that maybe handle
large documents better than others?

As for the previous discussion on Word vs. WordPerfect, I
have to say from my experience WordPerfect is better. It
handles large documents better, I don't run into the same
page numbering problems as I do with word, and the Table of
Content features actually work the way I expect them to.

Thanks

chas

"You're not dying, you just can't think of anything
good to do."
-Ferris B.

chasity mcwilliams
chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu