Re: Taking advantage of "reflexive" responses in users

Subject: Re: Taking advantage of "reflexive" responses in users
From: "Joyce Fetterman" <joycef -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:34:27 -0400

For the most part, I agree with Annamaria, but...

I immediately thought of a "fun" way to use this feature. Lots of readers
will skip introductory material, assuming that they don't need it. I could
see displaying a similar panel that says "Want to skip the intro?" or
something similar. Then take them to a page that briefly states what they'll
miss if they don't read the intro -- maybe some important terms are
introduced, or a process explained... And then give them the option to
*really* skip the intro, or go back and read it.

I wouldn't use this trick often, for the very reasons Annamaria points out,
but I think it *might* be effective in certain well-chosen situations.

Joyce

Annamaria Profit wrote:

Using this technique is hazardous. Remember WHY you clicked the window
closed? You were trying to get rid of it! Giving a user exactly what they
DON'T want is going to create significant hostility. Even if you're trying
to reinforce a point, the user is saying "so what, I don't want to hear
this." Do you really want to take them to the screen they just refused?
The technique ignores the user's ability to choose.