RE: Techwrlrs,

Subject: RE: Techwrlrs,
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 10:54:46 -0400

Hallo:

Resizing bitmaps is tough. I, too, use SnagIT32 (http://www.techsmith.com),
which is an excellent tool. I don't resize, meaning I don't specify a
specific pixel height and width, at the time of capture. However, I do
resample the resolution and resample color, too. I recommend SnagIT32 as the
easiest and best way to adjust your screen captures!

Resizing and resampling screen captures is tough. First, what's your desired
output: screen only (HTML, PDF) or offset press? What's your screen
resolution (72dpi, 96dpi, more)? What size windows did the programmers make
for you? And, finally, what size Real Estate do you have to play with, a
4-in. text column, a 400pixel-wide web space?

The problem with resampling bitmaps is that any time you change the size you
add or subtract pixels. Thus, at some level, the software you use has to
figure out what happens not only with the new or deleted pixels, but what
happens to adjacent pixels. Thus, resampling and resizing often results in
blurry images or jaggies. And, it's not as easy as creating the screen grab
at the highest resolution you'll need, because you are limited by the source
resolution: the video card settings.

I recommend you get SnagIT32 and play a little to find your particular
Nirvana.

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com