Re: Immigration to Canada

Subject: Re: Immigration to Canada
From: Kandis Weiner <kandis -at- toonboom -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:41:57 -0400

Hi Sona,

I'm an ex-pat American living in Montreal, Canada. I got my landed
immigrant papers about 6 years ago. I took my citizenship last Friday
and am now an official Canadian (pledged allegiance to the queen, sang
the national anthem, with a group of 52 people, representing 30

As a landed immigrant, you have all the rights of a Canadian - that is
the right to work, pay taxes, and receive medical care. You do not have
the right to vote.

Landed immigrancy is different from a working visa, and is a little bit
more complicated to get. In fact I know no other way of getting landed
immigrancy than by being sponsored by a spouse or family member...

To get a working visa, you have to be sponsored by a company who has to
prove that you are a qualified candidate and that they have tried,
unsuccessfully, to find a Canadian to fill the position.

I seem to recall that there are different kinds of traveling Visas that
may permit you to work in Canada for a brief period, which may allow you
to get a short term job while you find a permanent position, and then
arrange more long-term status...

I offer you this information based on my own experience, and the
experience of a friend who is working on getting her working papers. I
am no expert. You could consider consulting an immigration lawyer to get
the straight poop. Perhaps even the Canadian Customs and Immigration web
site, or the consulate in the UK, could be of assistance.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.


Kandis Weiner
kandis -at- toonboom -dot- com

Previous by Author: WinHelp 2000 : Where has the color in my bullets gone?
Next by Author: Another name for QA dept.
Previous by Thread: Immigration to Canada
Next by Thread: Re: Immigration to Canada

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads