RE: naming conventions for images

Subject: RE: naming conventions for images
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:57:57 -0700 (PDT)

> > I sorta have to disagree with part of Jeff's post...
> Well, if you have to...but I don't have to like it ;}
> > > The conventional way to name figures (and tables)
> > is
> > > numerically by chapter.
> > >
> > > Table 1-1 is the first table in chapter 1.
> > > Figure 99-44 is the 44th figure in chapter 99.
>
> > Seems to involve quite a bit of work. If I am
> > looking for the name of
> > a capture on the 100th page of my chapter, this
> > means that I have to
> > count all previous captures to get the information?
> >

> Well, uh, no...If you've been naming them this way all
> along, why count. Your image directory will have the
> images in order (or you can put them in order) so that
> you'll be able to see them easily.

I see three problems with this, and the problem is not based on
theory, bit from a contract that used this convention.

1)I have a Chapter 4 with files 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, then I get some
changes and i need to insert an image between 4-2 and 4-3. Do I call
it 4-3a?

2) I have a second chapter (chapter 5) that can use some existing
graphics. Do I now have 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 4-4, 5-4?

3) Don't forget to name files lower than 10 as 05-01, 05-02 or they
will sort odd in your directories..opps, I just went over 99, now
they still sort odd.

I don't see the problem with using a descriptive name. 8.3 is
history, or should be if your MIS is keeping current.

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-259-2874

Only in America... do they have drive-up ATM machines
with Braille lettering

http://mail.yahoo.com/