Re: Recruiters

Subject: Re: Recruiters
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:52:08 -0700

Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com wrote:

> Here's my recruiter horror story:

The worst I've had was an interview from hell. The interviewer
was 15 minutes late, then took me upstairs and to the back of the
office, where the cubicles were so close together and the ceiling
was so low that I might have been in a parking garage. The
interviewer barked out questions like a drill sergeant, and gave
no indication of what he thought of my answers. He opened my
portfolio as if he was afraid of dirtying his hands, and flipped
through page by page with a scornful look. His only remark was a
put-down. The interview ended after 10 minutes, and I turned on
my heels and marched out without saying good-bye.

At the nearest pay phone, I told the recruiter that I would
never, under any circumstancs, work for that company. She was
startled, since the interviewer had already e-mailed and said he
wanted me to have a second interview with the rest of the
writers. However, after I explained, she admitted that I was
about the fifth person to reject the idea of working at the
company - but the first person who had told her why. She even
apologized for sending me out to the interview without realizing
what the company was like.

I've never had a worst interview, even when I was starting out.
But, come to think of it, this is less a recruiter horror story
than an interview horror story. Also, I had noticed that the
company had a high turnover, and I wasn't screening the
interviews I was going to very carefully just then, so the fault
was partly mine.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux