RE: Interview Techniques

Subject: RE: Interview Techniques
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:40:50 -0700

Guy A. McDonald wrote:

>I would like to see this discussion move toward interview techniques. Some
>of our greatest challenges for data capture involve human factors.

One day, as I lurched from SME to SME, I found myself muttering,
"I'm not a tech-writer, I'm an investigative journalist." After
listening to myself, I looked up journalistic techniques in the
nearest university library, and cribbed some titles from the
reading list of some local journalism courses.

Ever since, I've got along with SMEs much better, and had much
less trouble getting information from them.

I strongly urge other writers to do the same.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"I dig a ditch, I shape a stone,