Re: Legal issues

Subject: Re: Legal issues
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 00:20:02 -0700

At 9:32 PM -0700 6/7/2000, Michele Davis wrote:
>OK, so hypothetically say I worked at a company who ONLY let their help
>desk people install sw on the contractors machines. As a contractor, if
>I installed RoboHELP would I be committing a crime?

Not under any computer-intrusion statute I'm aware of, no, although I don't
know them all and I suppose it's possible in some jurisdiction or other.

Did you have a point?

>Most companies I've worked for, they are pretty laid-back, "there's the server
>room." and nobody gets uptight if "others" are in the server room, or the
>switch
>room, now maybe mucking with the multi-million dollar IRIX machine or
>something...

Most companies wouldn't get upset if someone walked into the server room.
Walking into the server room and adding an account for yourself with admin
privileges is a bit different from just being in the room, though.

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com
http://www.jaedworks.com