Andrew breaks the rules

Subject: Andrew breaks the rules
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <markl -at- gilian -dot- com>
To: TechWr-L <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 12:08:37 +0200

Jeanne writes:
The client might take the fairly sane position
that "No harm, no foul" in this case, as long
as no security damage was done -

Yubbut once somebody has assumed administrative permission
on your system, who knows whether damage was done or not?
It's possible to plant all kinds of malevolent but hard-to-
detect programs, including time bombs. I'm with Gwen:
I wouldn't stand for it.

On the other hand... I once worked for a company that
found out a distributor was misreporting discounts in order
to rake off an extra percentage. The company said "Tsk
tsk, we've caught you, now don't do that any more."
I said, "But they deliberately stole from you! You can't
continue working with them." The company said, "Hey, it's
just business." I guess that's why I'll never be a businessman.

Mark L. Levinson
Herzlia, Israel
markl -at- gilian -dot- com