RE: Technical Writer's Day

Subject: RE: Technical Writer's Day
From: "Humbird, LenX" <lenx -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:26:05 -0700

Are we to use Tech Writer's day to celebrate ...technical writers?

How about having it coincide with Gutenberg's birthday? Or the day Adobe
Corporation was incorporated, as they produced Postscript; or Apple, for
mass producing desktop publishing? Or (depending on your gender)
Eric's/Deborah's birthday?

In spirit, this is a nice gesture, but I personally don't think I (or any
other twch writer) needs a national holiday in recognition of the lowly
manual. If word got out to the programmers, they'll want their own holiday.
Then test engineers will want their day. Followed shortly by tech support
jocks, marketers... even secretaries! (Oh, that's right, they already got
their way.)

Personally I celebrate whenever I finish a client-project. Which is
averaging about once per year.