RE: Keyboard Shortcut to open selected index marker (Frame 5.5.6)

Subject: RE: Keyboard Shortcut to open selected index marker (Frame 5.5.6)
From: "Ridder, Fred" <Fred -dot- Ridder -at- Dialogic -dot- com>
To: melissaks -at- eicon -dot- com, Techwrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 11:42:10 -0400

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Melissa Kucbel-Saumier wrote:

>I am indexing a long document in FrameMaker 5.5.6 and am getting=20
>quite frustrated by the constant changing between keyboard and=20
>mouse to open and edit existing index markers. I know I can create
>a blank marker using the keyboard shortcut ESC-M-K; however, I still
>have to open the marker using the menu options. I could use Alt+S
>to open the Special menu, then use the down arrow to hit Marker, but
>I am sort of hoping there is a quicker way... So, I select an existing
>marker in the text and press ??? to open the Marker dialog box.=20
>
>Thanks!
>M=E9lissa Kucbel-Saumier
>Technical writer
>Eicon Technology Corporation
>Montreal, Quebec, Canada
>melissaks -at- eicon -dot- com

I'll repeat here the same advice I've given several times on the
FrameUsers and FreeFramers lists (both of which are better
resources for tool-specific information than is the Techwr-l list,
BTW...) regarding index entry editing in Frame:

Spend a few dollars on IXgen from FSA Tools. You will never
regret it. It is a great tool. For more information, or to purchase
online, visit http://home.pacifier.com/~franks/

At first blush, IXgen may look expensive, but it is such a useful
and well-designed tool that I think you'll find it pays for itself in
saved time on the first one or two documents you use it for.
Here's what it can do for you:

IXgen has several tools to quickly build the foundation of an index
by autogenerating markers based on a keyword list, or on specific
paragraph tags (e.g. heading and caption styles) or character tags.
Beyond that, you can expand index markers in-line in the file
(making it much like Word's user interface). But best of all, you
can generate a separate file that lists all the markers in a file or
book so that you can see and fix inconsistencies very easily. You
can do as much editing as you like in this separate file, and then
import those changes back into the markers in your document.
The editable list is hyperlinked to the original markers in case
you need to look at the context for any given entry. And when
you import the edited list back into the Frame document, you
can automatically split multi-entry markers into separate markers
and/or generate circular permutations of single-level entries
(e.g. the entry "IXgen indexing tool" yields two new permuted
entries, "indexing tool, IXgen" and "tool, IXgen indexing").

I have no connection with FSA Tools other than being a very
satisfied customer.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Dialogic or Intel...
Fred Ridder (Fred -dot- Ridder -at- Dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic, an Intel Company
Parsippany, NJ