RE: Fitting a Job Ad (was Re: Misguided Love)

Subject: RE: Fitting a Job Ad (was Re: Misguided Love)
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Suzette Seveny'" <sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 10:09:08 -0400

Suzette,

Your right on the money. Any recruiter worth his/her salt will be using a
database search engine to see if the tools come up in your resume. They're
also looking for resumes with keywords that aren't tools-related. Put tools
at the bottom, and focus The first 3/4 of your resume on the ability to
solve problems, research, write, produce on deadline and on budget, play
well with others, and learn quickly. My own experience is that if you go for
jobs with a tools emphasis, you get a job that focuses on tools at the
expense of good communication. It's a company that just doesn't get it.

Any good tech writer can learn the tools, but not every tech writer can work
in a team to understand and improve the product and the user's experience in
appalling short time frames. Look for jobs that contain goals, not tools,
and you'll be happier.

MTC

Connie Giordano