Re: PaintShop Pro vs. Photoshop?

Subject: Re: PaintShop Pro vs. Photoshop?
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:18:58 -0500

Perhaps I should have amended my statement "A lot of scanners come with
Photoshop" to read "A lot of scanners come with Photoshop; notable
exceptions to this are the low-end, really cheap ones." You're going to
have to go all the way up past $150 to find a scanner w/Photoshop (UMAX has
two under $200; I didn't waste a lot of time checking for cheaper ones). I
still don't know of anyone who paid full price for Photoshop; everyone I
know with the package got it in a bundle of one type or another.

GIMP? I've tried the GIMP, and so far I'm still using Photoshop. It's a
little shallower than Photoshop, and, as I recall, isn't licensed to do
GIFs, opening you up to possible patent suits from Unisys for the next year
or so. It's got better scriptability than Photoshop by far; anything it
does can be easily automated. I haven't tried the Windows version of it, so
no idea how buggy it might be.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224