RE: Variations on a task

Subject: RE: Variations on a task
From: salatas <salatas -at- micron -dot- com>
To: "'Melanie Fielek'" <mfielek -at- inri -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:36:03 -0600

Melanie Fielek wrote:

So, how do y'all deal with documenting several different ways of
accomplishing the same task?

Response:

I only document one method, giving preference to the simplest and most
versatile. I prefer to document menu selections ("From the File menu, select
Open.") because the user can access them with either the keyboard or the
mouse. I encourage the developer to use standard GUI buttons and label them
or use "tool tips," so that users who like to click buttons can easily
discover these alternatives. I also include tables with buttons and keyboard
shortcuts, if necessary.

Salette Latas
salatas -at- micron -dot- net