Re: best job market

Subject: Re: best job market
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 20:01:28 +1000

But they won't consider farming out some work to people who aren't willing or able to live in the area, or close enough to spend a few hours commuting at least part of the week. (Same for other parts of the country with shortages.) I'm sure many of the vacancies are for jobs that genuinely need someone onsite at least part-time, but I'm also sure that a bit of creative thinking could find lots of work that could be done effectively and efficiently from a distance, possibly after a short on-site orientation (if that). In some cases, companies could shorten turnaround time by having someone (an editor, for example) in Australia or India work the "night shift." And if these companies have a problem with paying someone who doesn't have a US social security number, well heck, there's a lot of US citizens living in other parts of the world.

All that technology, but they want your butt on the chair in the office. Whether it needs to be there or not.

Cheers, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/
Avalook at Australia Travel site: http://www.avalook.com.au/

On 4/6/00, Elna Tymes wrote:

... based on what I've seen up close
and personal in the last six months, I'll nominate Silicon Valley as the
hottest job market in the US. Anecdotal evidence includes:

1. Every technical writer I know of in this area is employed.
2. I get about six calls a week from recruiters asking whether I'm available,
and if not do I know someone who is?
3. About half of those recruiting calls offer a cash incentive for providing
them the name of someone who gets hired.
4. The technical writing listings on Monster.com and DICE.com for Silicon
Valley are HUGE.
<snipped>