Re: Making manuals, using Word

Subject: Re: Making manuals, using Word
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: kanerb -at- concentric -dot- net, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 12:19:56 +1000

Beth,
The short answer is: put each chapter in a separate file and use the RD (Reference Document) field to compile ToC and index. Use the SEQ field for chapter number, page numbers (in some situations) in headers/footers etc.

You might find Chapters 3 and 4 (esp. Ch4) in my book "Electronic Editing" helpful. I've covered most of the essential information, but not necessarily in the order you need to use when setting up a multi-chapter book in the first place. See sig below.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/
Avalook at Australia Travel site: http://www.avalook.com.au/
Now available: Electronic Editing, A quick start guide for editing students, experienced editors making the switch from paper to online, and anyone who needs to write or edit electronically. For details:
http://www.wrevenge.com.au/bookshop/e-edit.htm

At 11:18 4/5/00 -0700, kanerb -at- concentric -dot- net wrote:

Can anyone point me to instructions for using Word to make manuals with
TOCs, indexes, chapters, etc.? Have such instructions been written up? Do I
have to use "sections" in a multi-chapter, Word-based manual? Is a book
always just one single file, or is it composed of several files, like it is
in Frame?