Master/slave/mirror: an interim tangent

Subject: Master/slave/mirror: an interim tangent
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <markl -at- gilian -dot- com>
To: TechWr-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 11:01:01 +0300

Thanks to those who've replied so far. I'll prepare a
summary when the replies have ceased. To me, the question
seemed worth asking because of the elapsed time since the
last round of discussion, but maybe I overestimated that,
um, elapsation.

And maybe, though I will go through with it and summarize,
I asked the wrong question. The answers I'm receiving
are convincing me that the phenomenon I need to
describe might be seen less as a case of control than as
a case of mirroring. Likely I could avoid the term "slave"
by using the term "mirror." But what is the name of the
original object that a mirror mirrors? Is there an accepted
term for that? Altavista does not give me a lot of hits for
"mirroree."

Mark L. Levinson - markl -at- gilian -dot- com - Herzlia, Israel