Re: Master/slave/mirror: an interim tangent

Subject: Re: Master/slave/mirror: an interim tangent
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "Mark L. Levinson" <markl -at- gilian -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 07:02:12 -0600

> And maybe, though I will go through with it and summarize,
> I asked the wrong question. The answers I'm receiving
> are convincing me that the phenomenon I need to
> describe might be seen less as a case of control than as
> a case of mirroring. Likely I could avoid the term "slave"
> by using the term "mirror." But what is the name of the
> original object that a mirror mirrors? Is there an accepted
> term for that? Altavista does not give me a lot of hits for
> "mirroree."

A mirror (in disk usage terminology) is simply a mirror.
E.g., a mirror for the TECHWR-L Web site consists of
two disks, each with a complete copy of all data.
(If you have two identical copies of your data, it really
doesn't matter which is primary and which is secondary. )
If you're describing a RAID level 1 system, this is the
case.

If you have a primary drive that is then copied to a duplicate,
you might use sub-mirror to describe the duplicate.

Yell offline if you need more information--I'm currently working
on some disk management software documentation.

Eric