Re: Education of a Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Education of a Technical Writer
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chris -at- bdk -dot- net>
To: Curtis Brautigam <curtisb -at- nurserysupplies -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 12:08:30 -0500

I hate to niggle (well, ok, maybe I like to niggle) BUT

While I am generally in agreement with the gist of your post, where I
come from, English would be counted among the liberal arts (category 2),
and not really on par with Technical Writing, Communications, or
Journalism, which are more focused towards applied skills, although
certainly there is necessarily a bit of cross-disciplinary grey area
here (which is good). Critical thinking, well organised arguments etc.
were definitely high priority on the curriculum when I got my English
degree. Style was not.

Chris Kowalchuk