HELP! (Word/Visio File Size)

Subject: HELP! (Word/Visio File Size)
From: Kelly Parr <KParr -at- c-bridge -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, Helpdesk <Helpdesk -at- c-bridge -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:13:15 -0500

I desperately need your help because this document must go out today.

I received a 67 page Word file for editing that was originally 1.1 mb and
had about 12 Visio 5 drawings embedded in it. At most a one-day endeavor...

Unfortunately, it has turned into my biggest nightmare. During the course of
my editing I noticed the Autosave function was practically bringing my work
to its knees---that is to say a save was taking as much as three to five
minutes. Perplexed,, I took a look at the document properties and saw that
the file was now in excess of 33 mb!!!

I assumed I must have done some funky conversion when I opened the Visio
drawings within Word to edit them. (It's worth mentioning that I do not have
the original Visio files). I knew I had to get this file back down to a
manageable size so I tried a few things:

1. I opened each individual "picture" within Word
2. I copied and saved the contents of the picture to the clipboard
3. I went into Visio
4. I pasted the clipboard contents and saved them as a new Visio 5
drawing
5. Then I saved the same drawing as a jpg file
6. Then I imported the jpg into the Word document
7. I did this for each of the 12 figures

The file had now grown to 39 mb!

So I tried cutting the pictures and pasting/special as a picture. That
brought the file up to 44 mb.

I gave up, shut down my computer and went home.

This morning I opened the document and took out all the drawings to see how
big the file would be without them. It was actually 34 kb larger!

Has anyone seen this before? I don't understand why each change I make
causes the file to grow. I *was* tracking versions earlier, but I turned it
off and deleted the versions. Might this have anything to do with it? Can
anyone tell me how to fix this?

Gratefully yours,
Kelly

Kelly Parr